Traqueostomía percutánea en cuidado intensivo: Una opción rápida, fácil y segura

Translated title of the contribution: Percutaneus tracheostomy in intensive care, a quick, easy and safe option

Carlos Laverde-Sabogal, Oscar Moreno-Ojeda, Daniela Patiño-Hernández

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

invasive mechanical ventilation (iMV) is one of the most frequent causes of admission to the intensive Care unit (iCu), when such support is prolonged and its removal is not possible, tracheostomy emerges as the only alternative. We seek to identify and describe the clinical outcomes of patients in iMV undergoing a percutaneous tracheostomy technique. We present a descriptive cross-sectional study based on a cohort of adult patients with iMV admitted to the iCu between January 1, 2017 and June 30, 2019, performing the percutaneous tracheostomy technique at the patient’s bedside. Demographic, intervention and outcome variables were collected. We found 46 patients, with an average age of 52.6 years (DE), 69.57% corresponded to male sex. the most frequent indication was the presence of neurological disorders, and the average number of days until its completion was 10.36%. 36.96% were performed by the intensivists and the remaining 63.04% by general surgeons, their percentage of complications was diferent, compared to 7.4% worldwide. the most frequent complication was the pneumothorax 6.5%. We did not have mortality or infections. Percutaneous tracheostomy is a safe, fast and efficient alternative achievable in the patient’s bedside by the trained anesthesiologist.

Translated title of the contributionPercutaneus tracheostomy in intensive care, a quick, easy and safe option
Original languageSpanish
Pages (from-to)708-713
Number of pages6
JournalRevista Chilena de Anestesia
Volume49
Issue number5
DOIs
StatePublished - 2020
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Percutaneus tracheostomy in intensive care, a quick, easy and safe option: Una opción rápida, fácil y segura'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this